27 Dec 2010

What did you get then?

The thing about having a bit of a pot-belly is that everyone knows that you are into food. After a while, you get used to your grandparents stuffing you full of cake when you go round, only for them to start asking your weight. Its like prodding you... “Here, have a lump of cake you fat git. You like cake don’t you fatty?! Look at his gut wobbling! What a disgusting fatty…”

Anyway, on the plus side, it means people know exactly what to buy at Christmas. My mother wouldn’t take me seriously when I asked for a Jamie Oliver Flavour Shaker, but I knew she wouldn’t let me down (mainly because her browsing history was saved on the Argos website). She also got, as a little stocking filler, a book called “Cooking School Indian” from Marks and Spencer, which looks surprisingly good. I’m particularly looking forward to the Sole in Chilli Yoghurt. The Mrs got me a Rachel Allen book I was after for a little while – “Rachel’s Food for Living”. It looks like good stuff – full of simpler, tasty stuff that should be easy to cook when we get back from work. The “Korean Beef with Avocado Rice” is definitely getting a try.

The Mrs herself also got two cookery books (both from myself. She did ask for one of them so its not a case of me buying presents for myself – I know what you’re thinking), Nigella Lawson’s “Kitchen” and the “Hummingbird Bakery Cupcakes and Muffins”. As always, the Nigella book is beautifully written and presented, a joy to read on its own. The Cupcakes and Muffins book is just a small stocking filler really, but is filled with a fair few ideas. The Marshmallow Cupcake recipe appeals to my outrageously sweet tooth. The mother in law also got my Better-Half a cupcake stand and an icing bag set, with seven nozzles, so I’m looking forward to those already.

The Hummingbird Bakery Cupcakes and Muffins @ Amazon

Rachel’s Food for Living @Amazon

Nigella Lawson’s Kitchen @ Amazon

Indian Cooking School @ Marks and Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment