30 Nov 2010

Rachel Allen

OK, first things first – apologies for not updating sooner, but things have been a bit crazy this weekend. We started off by having my parents over for dinner on Friday night, and needed something quick as we were kind of caught off-guard. We decided to play it safe and go for something we had done before – Rachel Allen’s Thai Sticky Chicken.

Rachel is a favourite in our house. We had never even heard of her until my mother bought the Mrs her “Home Cooking” book for her birthday. We had a flick through the book together, and were pleased to find it is 330-page beefcake of a book, complete with basics in the back, some drinks recipes, and breakfasts and Sunday lunches (the favourite meal of the week in our house). I also have Rachel’s iPhone app. I can’t decide if I like her voice or not. The blurb in her book states that she is Irish. I expected a velvet Irish brogue of a voice. Instead, RA sounds like an English Victorian school governess. I can’t decide if I like it or not! Additionally, the “clap for next step” feature of the app picks up absolutely any noise and just doesn’t work.

The Mrs has also picked up Rachel Allen’s “Rachel’s favourite food at home” from the library this week, and is cooking the Chorizo and Feta Frittata, to be served with leeks and bacon from the same book (review to follow, but the Frittata looks and smells amazing).

Anyway, we cooked the tried and tested Thai Sticky Chicken for my parents. We knew it was a winner as my Mum had previously asked for the recipe – she’s not shy on speaking her mind! We served it with mash and sugar-snap peas – “traditional Thai accompaniments” my father took pleasure in pointing out. Maybe not, but it worked. The chicken was excellent, as always, if a touch on the spicy side for all diners (perfect for me!). A big thumbs up.

My better half also made Lemon Biscuits from the ‘favourite food at home’ book – these didn’t go so well. I have mentioned I am not baker on the last update, but these looked almost too simple to me. They were quite greasy, as wor lass put more butter in than the recipe specified, as the mixture was too crumbly and didn’t bound together. She did mention that she thought she might have over-melted the butter, but I really don’t think this was the case. Anyway, too much butter made the biscuits too greasy and diluted the already subtle taste that the lemon zest leant the recipe. However, Rachel’s tip of rolling the biscuits in a layer of cling film was great – much mess saved.

So – on to Saturday. This is where I have to ‘fess up. The real reason that I have not tested more this weekend is… we got a Marks and Spencer meal deal. And do you know what? I'm not going to apologise. It was delicious! We had chicken wrapped in bacon stuffed with Brie, and stuffed mushrooms. In addition to this, on Saturday we had a three course lunch at a local pub and didn’t even eat dinner. Sunday greeted us with roast lamb at my mothers. Combine all these factors with the release of Gran Turismo 5, and before you know it, very little cooking has been done.

Monday comes round and I feel guilty – time to test Rachel a bit more. I baked the Peanut Butter and Banana muffins last night, and was very impressed, although I may have cooked them a little too long as they were not overly moist. More successful bakery practice! In fact, the Mrs had a friend and her one year old over this morning. The girls loved the muffins, and the little lad, who cannot speak yet but had been learning baby-sign, repeatedly asked for another by signing more over and over! A genuine compliment – why would a baby pretend!?!

Rachel Allen – Home Cooking @ Amazon

Rachel Allen – Rachel’s Favourite Food at Home @ Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment